Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Why Christians Need to be More Involved in Politics


Recently, I spoke to a local politician whom I know well. I asked him why more and more politicians seem to be in favor of gay rights and more specifically gay marriage. His answer astonished me at how simple it is. He said because gays vote. I asked him, "Well don't Christians vote?" He shrugged his shoulders and said "They do."

His tone was that the Christian vote is not as big of factor as the gay vote. The part about this that stands out to me is that it is not as though these politicians actually care about gay rights all that much. It is the fact that they vote. Not only do they vote, but they are also very vocal in their cause.

Christians on the other hand are nowhere near as involved as they need to be. The fact is that less than half of the Christian community votes. Many of the Christians who do vote don't put their Christian values first. They put union, ethnicity, other issues ahead of their Christianity.

A good friend of mine who used to be highly involved with the local tea party told me that Christians will say they don't vote because government is corrupt. They got it backwards though. Government is corrupt because Christians don't vote and the ones who do don't always vote Christian values first.

I have seen it first hand. I have the utmost respect for my pastor and I have heard him condemn politicians who are pro-choice and support gay marriage. Then I walk in the parking lot of my church and see bumper stickers for the same kind of candidates my pastor speaks against.

My pastor does preach the importance of Christians voting Christian values. As much as I respect my pastor, I have to say that that is JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Christians need to not only vote, but they need to be as vocal as the gays and other special interests. Make no mistake of it. If Christians really made their voice heard, the politicians would listen. They listen to those who vote and keep them in office.

While becoming more vocal will help, it is still not good enough. The fact is that even if the politicians start listening to the loud Christian voice, they will jump ship to a louder voice if it keeps them in office. The only way to prevent that is when you have candidates who stand true to their values no matter how many votes it may cost them.

The only way for that is to have candidates who know and follow the righteous path. Therefore, while voting and making their voice heard are important, the only way for the Christian vote to really be represented is if the churches start producing the candidates. I know so many people are afraid to run for office, but let me tell you that I DID. It was one of the most blessed experiences I have ever had.

I am not a prominent lawyer or CEO or anything of high status. I am a teacher and a security officer. So many people are stuck in this mindset that you have to be of a certain status to run and forget that many of the founding fathers were farmers and working men. That is because our government system was not set up to be all that complicated.

Therefore, we don't need all of our government officials to be from some lavish background. What we do need is more government officials who know and follow two things, The Bible and The Constitution.

Can you imagine that? I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment